Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Good Grief

As I finally say goodbye to 2009 and the holiday season, I realized I didn't manage to post anything about our holidays this year. Summarizing the whole of the holidays in one post is too big a job for many a blogger. Next year I'll do it during the season. However, I couldn't move forward without sharing a small element of our celebration.

You see, our family (and especially 4 year old) has had a minor obsession this past fall and through the holiday season. Our children have rediscovered the Peanuts Gang, and Avery has discovered it for the first time. Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Sally etc. have been much-loved and much-quoted in our house this year.

Some examples of our fixation include but are not limited to the following:

1. Let's learn about Thanksgiving
This occurred in November when I decided it was time for Avery to learn about the origin of Thanksgiving. I started reading her a picture book on the subject. When I turned the page and she saw the big ship, she blurted out, "Mayflower." What? Okay, where did that come from? Continuing on, turned the page and the hard-working pilgrims were building a house together in the snow. So Avery says, "Common House!" I gasped and asked her where she heard about the Mayflower and Common House . She said she heard it on Charlie Brown!

2. Spontaneous dancing whenever we hear "Linus & Lucy" music.

3. Spontaneous humming of "Linus & Lucy" louder than you'd think possible while shopping.

4. Scripture memorization from Linus.
During December, we decided life imitates art and chose the excerpt from Luke 2 that Linus quotes in Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown! as our family scripture memorization. There were a few extra lines added for authenticity. "CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT!?"

5. We have a little nephew who is due to arrive in February. When discussing name possibilities, Avery is quite sure "Snoopy" is the perfect choice.

6. Random recitation during dinner last week.
Out of the blue Avery starts quoting Sally from It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. We were able to cajole her into doing an encore performance for the video camera.



No comments: